My wife Laura's 16' trimaran with 84 sq.

ft. sail on a homemade unstayed mast.

 

Welcome to...

"DIY-Tris.com"

 

A Web Site For Do-It-Yourself 

Small, Homemade Trimarans

 

Presented by "Dr. Frank" Smoot, and

dedicated to DIY boatbuilders everywhere!

 

My 16' trimaran No Commotion with its

optional 124 sq. ft. rig from a Laser II.

 

 

Florida's "Sunshine Coast"

is small boat heaven!

____________________

 

What's On This Site:

1. Why I have come to believe that small trimarans are the only way to go. [click here]

 

2. A Brief History of the 15 or so homemade boats and rigs I have build over the past two years [click here]

 

3. Our first "trimarans"- made from kayaks (includes construction photos). click here

 

4. Building our first "real" trimaran: the tandem rig (includes construction photos).  click here

 

5. Building the first lightweight, single-seater trimaran, "No Commotion" click here

 

6. Building Laura's 65-lb "ultralight" trimaran - see 50 construction photos! click here

 

7. The Amazing "Planing Amas"- see 40 photos! click here

 

8. No Commotion Gets A Slick New "Sliding Aka" System! click here

 

5. Building my first single-seater tri, No Commotion...

 

Length (LOA) = 15' 10"       LWL = 15'7"       Beam (OA) 12' 4"

Beam (hull) at sheer = 26"                   Beam (hull) at waterline = 22"

Max hull height = 20"               Flotation depth full loaded = < 6"

Length of amas (floats) = 11'10"        Weight of amas = 29.5 lbs each

Weight (hull only) = 95 lbs.           Weight fully assembled = approx. 175 lbs

 

- Photos 1-10 Below-

 

 

If you haven't seen it yet, please take a moment to look at this 45-second video of my 16' homemade trimaran, No Commotion, going about 12 mph. (Double click twice for full-screen view at YouTube)

This video was shot my my wife, Laura, while she was going almost as fast in her own trimaran. Note also that her hands were free, so she could use them both to shoot this video!

 

 There's a total of 30 construction photos, with 10 photos per page.

 

1- Here, I am about to attempt to make a "tortured plywood" main hull, a technique

that worked very well on the amas I had already built for Laura's boat.

 

2- Looks good so far, like it might just work!

 

3. Sad to say, no matter what I did, these nasty distortions kept appearing at the keel..

 

4. None of my "fixes" worked, so I stopped trying to torture it and took a different tack.

 

5. How can I salvage this mess? I just measured down 16" from the sheer,

and then cut off everything below that line! Then I could shape as I wish.

 

6.  I had to improvise some way to keep the hull aligned while I installed some station frames.

The solution? Three galvanized studs. Complicated, but pretty effective!

 

7. After all station frames were complete (and removable from inside),

I was able to install the bottom panels.

 

8. Bow view at same stage as above. I use LOTS more zip ties

than most people, and have never regretted it.

 

9. All temporary framing is now removed. Note my "fillets' made from

PL Premium (in two applications). Not so pretty, but amazingly strong!

 

10. I added the one bottom brace back in, just to be sure, and to provide a base for

the seat. Interior now receives its second coat of polyurethane. I have never used

epoxy on the inside of my boats, except for where Laura's boat has a bit of fiberglass

cloth in the cockpit. I think it would be wasted on such "temporary" boats.

 

(To see photos 11 through 20, please click here.)

 

Back to home page                Email me here